Friday, January 5, 2018

A New Year Begins

2017 did not start out well for me in some respects.

I fell one night and after a totally horrid experience in a hospital where I worked was finally diagnosed with a fractured pelvis,  Later a secondary fracture was noted that was initially missed. The bottom line to this was that I was confined to my house for the remainder of January, Feb and some of March.  I could not lay down so I slept in my recliner for months.  Thankfully I do not have clear memories of this time, pain was intense and because of an intolerance for the dreaded opioid  I had little to relieve the pain beyond aspirin.  My friend and caretaker Peg, has s few stories to tell but there is no need for me to remember.

During this time and still my Grandson was very ill and he is also recovering, I am older but I still feel so awful for him, because he missed so much,  He is doing well and prayers continue to ask for complete recovery.

Recovery was slow and I worked from home for several months and concluded my assignment with the hops ital system I worked for as an interim.

Then things did pick up.  I rested, gardened, did things with friends like a normal person.  I was able to visit with special friends and my grandsons came to visit.  My summer was one good thing after another.  In August I was fortunate enough to be invited to view the Total Eclipse from a point where it was experienced in totality. This was a experience not to be repeated and certainly reinforces to me that God has created a marvelous place for us to live.

That was not the end of my adventure-the same friends invited me to travel with them down the Tennessee River, TomBigBee waterway from MS to Mobile Alabama.  The journey was awesome an experience with nature that is hard to duplicate.  There is limited civilization on the waterway but we caravan-ed with others.  Eagles, herons, dolphins in the Bay were some of the species we did see, but just the sheer isolation was impressive.  At night the stars seemed withing reach, the peace and tranquility and lack of technology was  peaceful.  I was happy to have the technology for the boats present, but conversation, games and just companionship grow without distractions

i made another side trip to Ohio to help a special couple celebrate their 35th wedding anniversary.  It was bitter sweet, because as happy as I am for them it did remind me that Stan did not quite make it to our 25th.   It was a happy time though, because we celebrated them and remembered Stan as well this is as it should me.

On to the final part of the year.
I drove to Texas to be with my son and his family. 
Interesting fact, Fifty years ago on New Years i attended the Ice Bowl in Green Bay.  The Packers beat Dallas in that extremely memorable game.
This year I celebrated with the boys at the Dallas Cowboys stadium at the Cotton Bowl.  Where Ohio State defeated USC.  I guess i should go to more bowl games since, I seem to bring my team good luck!

Now 2018 begins.  What next?


No comments:

Post a Comment