Sunday, September 5, 2010

Shaping our World, Molding ourselves,

There are many ways to look at life and certainly none of them comes close to being perfect. I felt a little reluctant to go to church today, in fact I actually put off getting ready until I was nearly late.

This is one of the concerns I have had about myself over the years, when things are tough sometimes I do absolutely try to rely on myself and generally learn too late that God and the friends he has provided are there to help, I only need to be open to their presence.

The sermon today could have been customized for me, the story hit home squarely, dead center. The reference versed are found in Jeremiah 18 and this is posted at the end of the blog.
This covered the topic of a potter and how the potter shapes the clay into a product that can have many issues.

I have been involved in multiple conversations about how God affects our lives and what part we play in the outcomes.

When we put something in {God's Hands} does it mean that we are then free to do nothing? I think not, we were created with free will and given the ability to think. There is a purpose in that and we do play a critical part in how we move forward or not in life.


As I get closer to being able to retire I realize that my life is in many ways just beginning. I have spent years pursuing a career that I remain passionate about even 30 plus years later. I have had trials and tribulations in my work, family life and most of all my Faith. Each of the tribulations had produced growth, learning and a better person for the most part. My children and I have a good relationship today and this is a huge part of my motivation for anything ai do. God in my first priority because I believe that my faith has allowed him to work with me, molding me along the way,as I struggle to participate in my changes.

My faith has continued to grow and develop a strength I did not know existed and it is through this that I believe that there is still much for me to learn and do. I have been working with a coach at to improve my leadership skills, and I have been quite humbled at what I did not know or in some instances just did not see. This becomes a matter of "We don't know, what we don't know". God has given us ears to hear, eyes to see and a heart to feel. My problem is that my mouth often prevents me from seeing or hearing. Or am I just not really present? This is what I am learning. I am learning to really listen and be present in the world where I walk. This has made an amazing difference, I am seeing things I missed, hearing things I have not heard and actually see myself in a very different light. It also helps when people actually speak the truth to help, rather than remain apathetic. I am Blessed with people that can and do talk.

This is the part of the potters molding, when the clay is appropriate and moist, and the potters hand steady a piece of work evolves that is able to serve a purpose, the potter chooses the purpose, or just discard the work. We discard the gifts from God when we do not try to continue to grow, develop and learn.

I know that when I retire from my current career, there will be more for me to do, I feel like I did many years ago when I graduated from high school, filled with possibilities.


I will have more on this topic and hope to hear from some of you

Jeremiah 18:1-11

The word that came to Jeremiah from the Lord:
2.“Come, go down to the potter’s house, and there I will let you hear my words.”
3.So I went down to the potter’s house, and there he was working at his wheel.
4.The vessel he was making of clay was spoiled in the potter’s hand, and he reworked it into another vessel, as seemed good to him. 5.Then the word of the Lord came to me: 6.Can I not do with you, O house of Israel, just as this potter has done? says the Lord. Just like the clay in the potter’s hand, so are you in my hand, O house of Israel.
7.At one moment I may declare concerning a nation or a kingdom, that I will pluck up and break down and destroy it,
8.but if that nation, concerning which I have spoken, turns from its evil, I will change my mind about the disaster that I intended to bring on it.
9.And at another moment I may declare concerning a nation or a kingdom that I will build and plant it,
10.but if it does evil in my sight, not listening to my voice, then I will change my mind about the good that I had intended to do to it.
11.Now, therefore, say to the people of Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem: Thus says the Lord: Look, I am a potter shaping evil against you and devising a plan against you. Turn now, all of you from your evil way, and amend your ways and your doings

Romans 9:21
Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for noble purposes and some for common use?


What will you be molded into today and tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment