Sunday, September 12, 2010

Righteousness, Judgement and Other Hazzards of Aging

One of the things that amazes me about growing a little older is that there is a tendency to assume that we know more just because we have experience. I am not certain that, this is even close to truth. In fact my personal experience tells me that the older I get the more I realize how much more I have to learn.

Life is certainly about growth and change. I read and listened to several discussions this past week about judgement. In fact one was originated in a roundabout way over the Koran burning planned by the Florida preacher. We circled around the topic and concluded that we did not feel that this was a good thing to do, but there was acknowledgement that the person involved did have a right to his opinion.

I heard many indignant people discussing this as a disgrace to Christians everywhere, and perhaps there is truth in this statement. I do not even want to go there today because this discussion sparked another issue.

As Christians we all feel that we know right from wrong, and in fact we do probably classify things according to severity in our own minds. For example murder and adultery could be classified as major transgressions. Then where does gossip and littering rank in severity?

It is very easy to condemn, criticize people that commit what we consider major transgressions but why do we feel the need to rank things? I think because it allows us to feel better about themselves, I know for example I have not committed any felonious crimes but I have gossiped, and while I do not ordinarily hold grudges I have harbored ill will toward others that have either harmed me or that I have perceived to have harmed me. I have committed the sin of feeling righteous when in fact I should not judge anyone, No matter what the ranking of my transgressions, I am far from being in a place to pass judgement on anyone.

I couldn't find a good Scripture to go with this post because I simply am not a great Biblical scholar, perhaps someone will suggest one.

For today my thought are clear I have much to learn and much to do before I can comment on someones life choices. I do commit to trying to avoid gossip, not being truthful, and being kind to others. This is just a small step, but it is one I am taking seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment