Monday, January 8, 2018

Legacy, What does it Mean

We will all leave a legacy as a result of our simply just being here on this earth.

I found many different uses for this word
  1. legacy(Noun)
    money or property bequeathed to someone in a will
  2. legacy(Noun)
    Something inherited from a predecessor; a heritage
    John Muir left as his legacy an enduring spirit of respect for the environment.
  3. legacy(Noun)
    The descendant of an alumnus
    Because she was a legacy, her mother's sorority rushed her.
  4. legacy(Adjective)
    of a computer system that has been in service for many years and that a business still relies upon, even though it is becoming expensive or difficult to maintain
  5. legacy(Adjective)
    left behind; old or no longer in active use

    Each one refers to something passed on,  I feel unfortunately that there are many people in this world that focus on leaving material things  as their legacy.  Families that guard their money and possessions with the intent of passing it along. It can become an obsession. 

    One simple example I can think of is the China. Yes china, many of us have sets of precious china that belonged to our mothers, Grandmother or other significant family member.  In many instances these dishes are brought out rarely for use of special occasions that seem to be increasingly further apart.  I have such dishes-when I pass on who will want them?  I can guarantee my youngest son who have limited storage and leads a lifestyle that does not frequently include formal gatherings will have no use for these lovely pieces.  moving along to my oldest son, he leads a lifestyle  that is more modern and current and these  nearly 100 year old dishes are not a pert of his world either.

    Why am I talking about dishes?  they are merely a symbol for the possessions including money that we struggle with trying to determining to whom and where our possessions will go.

    I raised my children and they are independent, not exotically wealthy but rich in the things I thing are important. Love, compassion, true friends, honest and hard working,  

    I will perhaps have money left for them, perhaps not  I have certainly worked to be certain my material things will be cared for and if there is actually money it had been determined where it goes.

    The entire idea that I owe them a huge or any financial legacy seems contradictory to me.  In our world today we have changing traditions and lifestyles but life has not changed.  

    The legacy I hope is left is memories of unconditional love, support and a belief that we can make our world better.
    My professional legacy has been to help mentor and encourage others in the care of others. I feel strongly that I probably did this better than raising children.  I put myself into both and because we continue to learn and grow I hope that i continue to add to the lives of those I touch.

    My goal is to leave memories of someone who cared, loved her children with absolute abandon, and,  created memories over time, a person of Faith, and a recollection of someone who continues to grow and learn until her last breath.  Living life in the present

    This would be my legacy, live each and every day respecting the fact the we do not know how many more days we will have. Love and respect each other.  Take a chance on people and reach out to others, always learn, and be grateful for the present and what you have in this real time.

    More thoughts on this later

No comments:

Post a Comment