Sunday, July 1, 2018

Thoughts of Summer Holidays

Growing up summers were a hub if weekend activities.  Aunts and Uncles arrived on the weekends to fish, the “women cooked, talked and laughed a lot.  I think that I expected that family weekends would always just happen.  What I didn’t grasp was that since both of my parents were only children and I only had one sister the sea of relatives would literally dry up.

The times were relaxed and felt like a big comfortable cloud wrapping me in sun and blue skies.  They were happy times, times I remember with a wistful smile  The memories are probably exaggerated in my mind but good memories often look even better in retrospection.  This does set the bar high; perhaps too high with the changes of time.

Now the family is very different, my sister and her daughters are in one place, my children are
Grown and thousands of miles away as I am still traveling for work.  The family gatherings
I treasured as a little girl are not even a possibility Or are they?  Perhaps time to reconfigure?

I can’t manufacture new relatives but there are options.  We do this now with a small group that gathers oweekends.  Perhaps a trip back on time requires a little
More work but the traditional summer gathering focused on food and conversation can be enjoyed by merely asking others to share their time and appetites.  I must be the one to change what I do: it is time for me to change and work on new celebrations.

Summer memories are waiting for me.  My choices my efforts

No comments:

Post a Comment