Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Connection? OR RN Director and Clergy Person or Law Enforcement Person

This comparison is very simple, and quite unsophisticated it simple represents my own thoughts and please understand the similarities that I see are my own perceptions. They could be inaccurate , however they eem real to me.

In our daily lives we sometimes feel that we are running a solo race and few if any others can understand the demands of our chosen professions. I surmised that perhaps we need to look, and here is what I found.

How are these vastly different professions even remotely alike? Not an easy comparision to most people. I had this thought while kyaking with my friend Ben. Ben is an Episicopal priest and I work as the director of a Surgical Services department. additionally my friend Bill is in law enforcement as is my old friend Skip. Some of the comparisons are somewhat simple, we work to fix things with people, try to save lives in some instances, and are dedicated to serving those that need us. These can be lofty goals and there are many roadblocks to acheiving our purpose.

I have conclude that while we are appreciated perhaps the clergy are more frequently exposed to praise. Great sermon is uttered with sincerity while thtnks for arresting me probably is not,.and I seem to be enforcing rules very often.

In the OR work place fixing people is relatively straight forward, we cut, take out, replace, patch and then sew it up. We have a high success rate with our work, or we would no longer be doing it. It is a highly competitive business and certainly patients can always be repaired at many other facilities. We have to treat our patients with care, compassion and be attentive to their additonal need as well as fixing thier repair problem. Our work in the OR is definitely appreciated but the surgeon is the one priased and we nurturee our selves just knowing that we are doing the right thing and doing it

In the church world the clergy face similiar challenges with their parishioners. They must be attentive to what needs to be fixed,provide attentive compassionate listening and provide assistance to repair what is not right. This is a major difference because it is not cut and dried. The intangible things that we as people need fixed by pur clergy are not black and white like the surgical interventions, provided in my line of work.

In law enforcement lives are proected, people are educated on safety and the hundreds of other tasks that fall to our portectors. We only see a smallportion of what any of these professions do on a daily basis.

we fix the tangible bodily problems, protect people for each other and unwise decisions, while the third deals with the soul and all contribute to the quality of life here on earth.

The objectives are never exactly clear but the purpose is to provide comfort and offer tools to improve the gifts of life possessed by the people we serve.

I would never want to truly be a clergy person because I would dislike having so many people trying to "help" and or tell me how to do my job. Parishioners all have a vested interest in thier clergy person, clearly they employ him or her. Therefore they should be allowed to offer suggestions on how to perform the duties related to the church they support. Right? They offer suggestions on sermon topics, how to organized the business side to running a church, and the list is endless. Serving the needs of those in need and those who offer help is a full time and difficult task. The job is rewarding, but not without some stress and what I could be deemed strangulations. I wish I could help save souls, but that is truly a job for a clergy professional.

Perhaps if I cam back as a much younger person I woudl choose the law, in fact when I was a teenager I dreamed of being a lawyer. Girls were seldom police officers when I was growing up. Today the possibilities are endless.

Oops, now this becomes more clear. My job as the director in a hospital has some distinct similiarities. The staff, patients, physicians and other departments within the hospital system are all able to offer suggestions on how to perform the duties releated to the operation of the surgical suite. This profession also has many people interested in the outcomes and concerned that it is done correctly. My job as I view it, is to listen carefully, use the good suggestions, consider the others and thoughtfully disect them before I either use or disgard them.

these professions serve many, both customers and bosses. Our professions are truly a calling, or the individuals involved would not be effective. this is of course my personal opinion but while serving many masters here in our earthly jobs we still are held to the higher power that has placed us where we are on this earth.

These particular thought were prompted by first a feeling that no one could understand my job, (poor me) and secondly a reality check that there are many others in this world that have the same stresses and challenges on a daily basis. There is strength in knowing that and peace in the thoughts that I have support not only in my own professional world but with others in very different appreaing professions. It is up to me to make the connections and draw on the strengths and support I can use and provide to others.

I certainly welcome comments and suggestions

No comments:

Post a Comment