Saturday, January 1, 2011

On A Milestone Birthday in a New Year

2011 is the year those of us classified as the first Baby Boomers turn 65, and as the world is are some of the first that cannot actually retire with full Social Security Benefits.  Just a simple fact.

Life seems to be lived in many cases in segments related to Birthdays.  There is the First Birthday which for any parent is a huge milestone.

 I have seen photos of my own first birthday, there was the cake that I put my fist firmly into and then daintily ate from my own hand. This information from my Mom. That photo has been long gone and the next photo if from my 4th or 5th Birthday because Jeff Harper is in that photo along with Holly his younger sister, we were in Wisconsin and this party looks like it was great fun for all.  I have this photo. After that I do not have any Birthday photos nor do I remember any particular parties,  I am not saying that my birthday was not celebrated, we just did not do parties in the same way they are done in this century. 

My next Birthday of note was the 16th, because then I could finally legally drive a car, after passing the drivers test of course.  I had learned to drive long before this, tractors, the old Forty nine Chevy, black four door and it came with a key ring that says "see the USA in your Chevrolet"  I still have that key ring.  I loved that car, it was my Grandpa's car.

Then came 18,  in Wisconsin it meant you could legally drink in 'Beer Bars", and vote.  I worked for the young Republicans that year as a Goldwater Girl, and fell in love with Rick.  I graduated from high school, and decided to attend college at Wisconsin State University, Oshkosh.  I did this in lieu of going elsewhere because I was in love. 

This choice became one of those decisions that was to be significant, in how my life grew and developed.  Before the next significant birthday I met Ken, and not long after my 21st Birthday we were married in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.  The next years took us to Fort Huachuca, AZ. Gregg was born there and we couldn't have been happier.

We ended in Dayton Ohio in the 70's and welcomed Jason .  By the end of the decade we were settled in our first home and living the suburban life. 

I passed the 30 year mark contemplating going to nursing school, and in fact did do that.  I went to Sinclair Community College, and soon after finished a BS at Wright State.

The next years brought more changes and choice shaped the destinations my life would take. 
I married Stan Rosenthal in1990 and started anther new adventure.  Our path would take us to Florida, South Carolina, Mississippi, Alabama and most recently to Ohio.  

The details are what they are, we are in Ohio now and where we end up is not decided.

What is a fact is that I will soon turn 65.  I approach this age with as much anticipation as I did the earlier major ages I mentioned.  This is different, however, it does not mark the age at which I can do something new, rather the age at which I can begin choosing not to do some things, like working full time.

I understand that this age brings what can be termed the beginning of the end--this is not morbid rather a  reminder that choices become more important.  I could just chose to vegetate and morn my lost youth.  I never lost my youth, it is still there active in my brain and thinking therefore I am not really old in my own eyes.  I have to say that seeing the reality in the mirror can be a shock but it not a deterrent to continuing to really live and learn.

It would be nice if I could be very profound in my words, but they are not coming.  I begin this new era with a determination to keep learning, growing and making a difference.  I have a great family, I know that I have touched others in my work and in the world in general.  I am determined to be forgiving and continue to teach while I learn. 

I want to live a very long time as long as I have my faculties.  I want to see how things play out, I have always been curious and I want to see what happens in the world and in my family.  My Mother-in-law, Lorraine is my hero.  She at 86, lives a full active life and never quits.  Her glass is always half or more full and her spirit serves as a role model.  She has taken what life has dealt and made lemonade or Manhattans from it. 

so here I am at the beginning of the end, but what is it the end of?? The story will continue as we live on.  Hopefully retirement will be in the next year or so--but nothing is guaranteed nor planned.

Happy New Year and New Adventures to me and all of my fellow Boomers

No comments:

Post a Comment