Monday, December 24, 2012

Making a Difference, Comes as a Surprise

I just finished a wonderful adventure.  I did an interim work assignment at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital,in New Bunswick, NJ.
My job was basically the same thing that I have been doing for many years.  I managed an Operating Room.  The difference was the goal was to find a permanent director for the facility. After a very long search and a fair amount of work the goal was met.  Transitioning the new director was just fun and supported a feeling of an accomplished task.

The job was certainly challenging, but rewarding.

 Everywhere,  even in the once dreaded New York City, people were wonderful.  Helpful, kind and caring. More abrupt in conversation and mannerisms to be certain than in some of my other worlds, but the basic human values were there to be seen and experienced.


Where ever I went I encountered kind people.  The train conductor who explained the mass transit rules for my first train trip to Penn Station and my first City outing.  I went alone, felt safe and had a wonderful time. People in stores, those in the churches I visited, coworkers, People working in the post Sandy centers.  People, wonderful people
I found new friends that have touched my heart and will remain there.

I explored the state from Cape May on the south shore and was treated to a quiet beauty and beautiful countryside.  I took back roads and believe it much like the Carolina's ans Ohio there are back areas that are not easy to reach.  Wonderful rolling hills move into the Poconos, the Jersey Shore had a great deal to offer with beautiful beaches. my first real Boardwalks.  Atlantic city Vegas of the East. was exciting and alive.  My most memorable event there was a trip on the famed Sling Shot on the steel pier followed  a sedate ride in a boardwalk carriage (person powered)
Beautiful farmlands, woods, and marvelous architecture were everywhere.  Not nearly enough time in a year to see it all, but I tried.

I visited an Episcopal Church with a graveyard with Revolutionary War graves, the history was amazing. The bulidings were just too amazing for me to accurately describe.

I went about my job, explored and prepared to leave
What I had not prepared for was the things people shared with me  before I left.  Many of the farwells
were very tearful, as I was told over and over about things I had done that made a difference.I was  awed, as a friend pointed out perhaps these people felt compelled to speak out because I was leaving.

I am not certain why they took that time; I do know I was surprised, I simply was there I did listen, I certainly cared but the acts were all simple things that had perfect timing to make a difference

The lesson learned is two fold.  Even the simplest things can really impact others and perhpas we all need to tell people when they do make a difference.  My new promotion for communication.
Tell people you care
Tell people you hear them
Look and really see others
Surprise yourself, I certainly did;  now I have to continue on this course.
Pray for me

No comments:

Post a Comment