Monday, July 1, 2013

Exploring New Worlds

I spent my weekend exploring part of Northern California, Clear Lake is believed to be either the oldest lake in our land or the second oldest, the history is rich.  The sense of adventure and excitement I learned from Ken and company  so many years ago remains with me today .  I found new places and people this weekend, found new smells I will ever associate with this beautiful land.

I first ventured into the central part of the state, it could be Kansas with its flat fields and irrigation systems, but the mountains in the far horizon are a clue--it isn't Kansas.  It was hot, 110 degrees hot, dry and not totally uncomfortable, but then air conditioned cars help.  In this flat land rice, olives, sunflowers, apricots and more grow well.  Beyond the irrigation lies crisp golden grass, tinder for any stray fire and it is an ever present danger.

I saw my first remnant of a CA fire on this trip and in the evening the burned trees looked like a Halloween decoration, black and scary.  The next morning I felt differently, there among the cinders there were bits of green and some of the burned trees sprouted new greenery in defiance of the fire.  Green here and there and signs of life emerging from the black earth.  It is uplifting to see Nature fight back.  Given a chance restoration will occur, on its own and in a different or better way perhaps.  It speaks of the future and hope, that was the message this area gave me.

It is remarkable to even imagine how the first roads were built or how the paths were chosen.
Even today the roads are interesting and certainly fun to drive.  A bit taxing on the arms and shoulders after a few hours.  The drive from Mendocino south is like a roller coaster ride, I absolutely loved it and am glad that Stan wasn't with me. He would have hated it, not a fan of narrow, winding roads with no barriers.!

I drove through redwood forests that were so dense that when I stopped the car, not another sound could be heard except the wind,  I stopped in sheer reverence, this is a place where I felt God.  In the silence was just a sense of peace. I was Blessed to be able to drive for over an hour at 10-15 miles an hour because there were very few people, what a gift. The trees are so remarkable it is difficult to imagine how the first settlers felt when they saw them. 

California's coast is stunning, there are no actual words to describe the cliffs and beaches that just seem to appear.  I love this drive and stopped every chance I had to view the ocean, rivers and trees. the stark poverty here is equally stunning.  Marin county, so close is another world,  here are rundown homes, worn out vehicles and the signs of  a very weak economy.  the fishing and logging that supported this area no longer can be depended upon. Like other places I have lived there is balance or imbalance economically and geographically.

Beauty cannot make up for the remoteness and lack of employment.  It is sad, beautiful and wild.

I will edit this one day, perhaps but for now it will help remind me of this June weekend in California

No comments:

Post a Comment